UPICKEM MEN'S COLLEGE BASKETBALL TOURNAMENT CONTEST OFFICIAL RULES
NO PURCHASE NECESSARY. THIS CONTEST IS INTENDED FOR PLAY IN THE UNITED STATES AND CANADA ONLY AND WILL BE GOVERNED BY U.S. LAW. DO NOT PARTICIPATE IF YOU ARE NOT ELIGIBLE AND LOCATED IN THE UNITED STATES OR CANADA AT THE TIME OF ENTRY.
These Official Rules are for the UPICKEM Men's College Basketball Tournament Contest (the "Contest"), which is a nationwide contest (including both the United States and Canada) Sponsored by Second Street Media Inc. ("Sponsor"). Local affiliates who choose to participate in this Contest may offer prizes for their participants only, but eligibility for those prizes may be restricted to individuals in the affiliate's local area.
This Contest is not intended to be used for gambling purposes. If it is determined that a participant is using the Contest for gambling purposes, he/she will be disqualified.
1. ELIGIBILITY: This Contest is open to legal residents of the 50 states of United States and the District of Columbia, who are 18 years of age or older, and legal residents of Canada (excluding Quebec), who are of legal age of majority in their province of residence, at the time of entry. Local affiliates may restrict eligibility for affiliate prizes; eligibility for local affiliate prizes will be posted on the local affiliate's website. Employees of Sponsor and participating affiliates (the "Promotion Parties"), and members of the immediate family (spouse, parent, child, sibling and their respective spouse) and households of each such employee are not eligible to participate or win a prize. This contest is void in Quebec and where prohibited by law.
2. HOW TO PLAY: In the "Upfront" game, you pick the winner of each game of each round of the tournament prior to the start of the first full round of the tournament (i.e., the round of 64 teams).
Select the team that you predict will win each game of the Men's College Basketball Tournament and enter the score for the designated tie-breaker game. You may enter your picks until fifteen (15) minutes before the start of the first game of the first full round of the tournament (i.e., the round of 64 teams). You will not be required to pick the winners of the "First Four" play-in games. Limit one (1) entry per person.
Each round of the tournament is worth up to 64 points. There are 6 rounds in the tournament worth up to 384 points. You will receive 2 points for each First Round game you pick correctly. You will receive 4 points for each Second Round game you pick correctly. You will receive 8 points for each Third Round game you pick correctly. You will receive 16 points for each Fourth Round game you pick correctly. You will receive 32 points for each Fifth Round game you pick correctly. You will receive 64 points for picking the winner of the Championship game. If a game is canceled, forfeited, or indefinitely suspended for any reason, that game shall not count for any participant and scores will be computed as if the game did not exist.
The participant with the highest score for each round will be deemed the round winner, subject to verification. The participant with the highest total score for all rounds combined will be deemed the Grand Prize winner, subject to verification of eligibility.
In the event of a tie for the highest score in any round, the winner for the round will be randomly selected from among the tied participants.
In the event of a tie for the highest overall score, the computer takes those tied participants and applies the "Score Approximation Formula" outlined below to determine the Grand Prize winner.
Score Approximation Formula:
1. Subtract what the participant chose as the score for the winning team from the actual winning team's score and square this value.
2. Subtract what the participant chose as the score for the losing team from the actual losing team's score and squares this value.
3. Add the value from 1 and 2 above together to get the participant's "score approximation".
The participant with the lowest "Score Approximation" will be deemed the winner.
If there are still ties, the ties will be broken based on the following criteria in this order:
1. The most points earned in the Fifth Round.
2. The most points earned in the Fourth Round.
3. The most points earned in the Third Round.
4. The most points earned in the Second Round.
5. The most points earned in the First Round.
6. If there is still a tie the computer picks a random winner from the tied players.
National Bonus Prizes:
Each participant can only win one of these cash prizes. So, for example, a participant who
correctly picks all 63 games would receive the $1,000,000 cash prize, but not a $10,000 cash
prize a or $1,000 cash prize, and a participant who correctly picks 61 or 62 games would
receive the $10,000 cash prize, but not a $1,000 cash prize. These prizes will not be awarded
unless someone correctly picks the required number of games. Determination of cash prize
winners, verification of eligibility, and compliance with these rules will be conducted by SCA
Promotions, Inc., whose decision will be final. If won, the $1,000,000 prize will be awarded as an annuity.
- One (1) $1,000,000 cash prize will be awarded if a participant correctly picks all 63
games correctly. If more than one participant correctly picks all 63 games correctly, the
$1,000,000 cash prize will be evenly divided and distributed among all participants who
correctly picked all 63 games.
- Up to three (3) $10,000 cash prizes will be awarded to participants who pick 61 or 62
games correctly. If there are more than three participants who correctly pick 61 or 62
game, the three $10,000 cash prizes ($30,000) will be evenly divided and distributed
among all participants who correctly picked 61 or 62 games.
- Up to five (5) $1,000 cash prizes will be awarded to participants who pick 60 games
correctly. If there are more than five participants who correctly pick 60 games, the five
$1,000 cash prizes ($5,000) will be evenly divided and distributed among all participants
who correctly picked 60 games.
3. WINNER NOTIFICATION: Winners will be notified by email. All posted results are unofficial until winners are verified. If a winner does not respond within seven (7) days of the initial notification email, the prize will be forfeited and awarded to the next highest scoring participant. Prizes won by an eligible participant who is a minor in his/her state of residence will be awarded to minor's parent or legal guardian who must sign and return all required documents. Sponsor is not responsible for any change of email address, mailing address and/or telephone number of participants.
4. GENERAL CONDITIONS: Participants agree to abide by the terms of these Official Rules and that the decisions of the Sponsor are final and binding on all matters pertaining to the Contest.
The Promotion Parties reserve the right to substitute any prize with another prize of equal or greater value. Prizes are non-transferable and no cash equivalent or substitution of prize is offered, except at the sole discretion of the Sponsor. The Promotion Parties have not made nor are in any manner responsible or liable for any warranty, representation, or guarantee, express or implied, in fact or in law, relative to any prize, including but not limited to its quality, mechanical condition or fitness for a particular purpose. Any and all warranties and/or guarantees on a prize (if any) are provided only by the manufacturer, and winners agree to look solely to such manufacturers for any such warranty and/or guarantee. Each winner is responsible for all federal, state and local taxes and may be required to complete an IRS form W-9. Sponsor reserves the right to withhold prizes until completed form W-9 is received.
A participant grants to Sponsor and its affiliates the right to use and publish his/her proper name and state/province or residence online and in print, or any other media, in connection with the Contest. By accepting a prize, a winner grants Sponsor the right to use his or he name and likeness for advertising and promotional purposes without further compensation. Participants agree (a) to release and hold Sponsor, Promotion Parties and all of their respective officers, directors, employees, representatives and agents from any and all liability for any injuries, losses or damages of any kind, including death, or property resulting in whole or in part, directly or indirectly, from acceptance, possession, misuse or use of the prize or participation in this Contest; (b) that under no circumstances will participants be permitted to obtain awards for any punitive, incidental or consequential damages; (c) all causes of action arising out of or connected with this Contest, or any prize awarded, shall be resolved individually, without resort to any form of class action; and (d) any and all claims, judgments, and award shall be limited to actual out-of- pocket costs incurred, excluding attorneys' fees and court costs.
6. LIMITATIONS OF LIABILITY: Sponsor and Promotion Parties are not responsible for Internet crashes or slowdowns caused by network congestion, viruses, sabotage, satellite failures, phone line failures, electrical outages, natural disasters or acts of man or God, lost, late, misdirected, postage-due, unintelligible, returned, undelivered entries or email, or for lost, interrupted or unavailable satellite, network, server, Internet Service Provider (ISP), Website, or other connections availability, accessibility or traffic congestion, miscommunications, failed computer, network, telephone, satellite or cable hardware or software or lines, or technical failure, or jumbled, scrambled, delayed or misdirected transmissions, computer hardware or software malfunctions, failures or difficulties, or other errors of any kind whether human, mechanical, electronic or network. Persons who tamper with or abuse any aspect of this Contest or Website, or act in violation of the Official Rules, or act in any manner to threaten or abuse or harass any person, or violate Website's terms of service, as solely determined by the Sponsor, will be disqualified. Neither Sponsor nor Promotion Parties are responsible for any incorrect or inaccurate information whether caused by Website users, tampering, hacking, or by any of the programming or equipment associated with or used in this Contest, and assumes no responsibility for any errors, omission, deletion, interruption or delay in operation or transmission or communication line failure, theft or destruction or unauthorized Website access. Any use of robotic, macro, automatic, programmed or like methods of play will void all such plays, and may subject that participant to disqualification. Sponsor reserves the right at its sole discretion, to disqualify any individual (and all of his or her submissions) who tampers with the submission process. Neither Sponsor nor Promotion Parties are responsible for injury or damage to participant's or any other person's computer or property related to or resulting from participating in this Contest. Should any portion of Contest be, in the Sponsor's sole opinion, compromised by virus, worms, bugs, unauthorized human intervention or other causes which, in the sole opinion of the Sponsor, corrupt or impair administration, security, fairness or proper play of this Contest, or Contest plays, Sponsor reserves the right at its sole discretion to suspend, modify or terminate the Contest.
Participants agree (a) to release and hold Sponsor, Promotion Parties, Comcast Cable Communications Management, LLC, their respective parents, subsidiaries, affiliates, divisions and all of their respective officers, directors, employees, representatives and agents from any and all liability for any injuries, losses or damages of any kind, including death, or property damage resulting in whole or in part, directly or indirectly, from acceptance, possession, misuse or use of the prize or participation in this Contest; (b) that under no circumstances will participants be permitted to obtain awards for any punitive, incidental or consequential damages.
This promotion is in no way sponsored, endorsed or administered by, or associated with, Comcast Cable Communications Management, LLC. You understand that you are providing your information to Sponsor and not to Comcast Cable Communications Management, LLC.”
7. WINNERS: For a list of national winners, mail a self-addressed, stamped envelope to: Second Street Media, Inc., 317 N 11th Street, Suite 200, St. Louis, MO, 63101, Attn: Men's College Basketball Tournament Contest Winners List. Requests must be received by June 30, 2013.
This contest is sponsored by Second Street Media, Inc., 317 N 11th Street, Suite 200, St. Louis, MO, 63101.
© 2013 Second Street Media, Inc.
UPICKEM is a trademark of Second Street Media, Inc. The content, information, data, designs and code associated with the Contest website are protected by intellectual property and other laws. Copying or unauthorized use of any copyrighted materials, trademarks or any other intellectual property without the express written consent of its owner is strictly prohibited.